Sometimes we just feel frumpy. Not put-together. There can be lots of reasons for the frumpiness, but the result is always an icky low-self-esteemy feeling. It’s something we want to get rid of. But, it’s not always easy or financially possible to skip off to the salon or mall for a day of beauty and shopping sprees. Here’s a list of little things you can do, and products you can use, that make the de-frumpification process a little easier.
Ways to Love the Way You Look More
1. Find time to do your hair. I find that even if I can’t do anything else, having my hair look halfway decent really improves my mood. If my hair is crazy, I ain’t happy. I’m going gray, and I have a lot of little gray hairs that love to stick up and make me look like a mad scientist. I started using this pomade, Got2b Defiant Define and Shine Pomade, and it’s helped a lot. It also makes my hair more shiny.
2. Set out three go-to outfits. Find three outfit combinations that you really like, so you’re always able to find something that you like to wear. Having it ready to go without having to make a fashion decision early in the morning while your kids are asking for breakfast is priceless.
3. Set up an alternate makeup area. When my boys were younger and we lived in a different house, I kept my makeup downstairs instead of in our bathroom. I’d do my makeup little by little in the mornings using a mirror in our living room. I had to look in that mirror anyway, so it was nice to be able to put on makeup here and there.
4. Hydrate. Drink water. This doesn’t always provide immediate results, but it will make you feel better. And if you’re hydrated, your skin will be more glow-y.
5. Moisturize. I don’t think I moisturized for the first two years of motherhood, and I wish I would have. Use your favorite body lotion every day (especially in the winter), and moisturize your face daily as needed. I like to use Cetaphil lotion with sunscreenduring the day, and Alba moisturizers in the evening. In the winter, I’ll use a little extra Alba moisturizer during the day too.
6. Have a quick makeup kit ready to go (if you wear makeup). Decide what you need in terms of cosmetics, and find products that will help you apply them quickly. My favorites are Mac Studio Fix (expensive, but it conceals almost everything), mascara (purchased on sale with coupons), eyeliner/eyeshadow combo (I like the elf-brand stuff, and I bought it at Target for a steal), lip stain (also elf-brand), and lip balm. If I have time, I also like to use blush (something rosy, probably purchased with coupons).
7. Stand up straight. Easier said than done, especially when you’re taking care of little ones. I’m so guilty of slouching all the time. But, standing up straight will make you feel more confident. It also makes you look more put-together.
8. Be mindful of what you tell yourself. Also easier said than done, but make an effort to notice your good features. If I’m constantly looking at the things I don’t like about myself in the mirror, I focus on those things. If I look at the things that I do like, I tend to focus on those more. I’d rather spend my time focusing on the positives.
What tips do you have for getting rid of that frumpy feeling?
This post may contain affiliate or referral links. By using them, you are being super awesome and supporting this blog. Thank you! To learn more, check out this fabulous Disclosure Policy.